Forum
¤  Tachyon for PC and PocketPC Forum Index
¤  View posts since last visit
¤  View your posts
¤  View unanswered posts
Tachyon for PC and PocketPC
Astronomical Software for PC and PocketPC - Tachyon
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Bluetooth Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tachyon for PC and PocketPC Forum Index -> Telescope Setup View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPS Bluetooth Question
bpreiss

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: GPS Bluetooth Question Reply with quote

Ok - this is not exactly a Tachyon question but a general bluetooth question ( however the use is directly related to telescopes.

First my setuup:
HP Rx3715 with iTrek Bluetooth (external) GPS -
Starlink Bluetooth connector - connected to Autostar

Each one of these connects with no problems - but now to get them to "handshake" to each other... that is the "trick".

Now the technical question: I need to get data from my GPS to my Autostar through this path ---> GPS - PDA - STARLINK (which will feed my Autostar with GPS data if it si found).

GPS data is useful as it feeds the EXACT time not just a very accurate location.

I have software on my PDA called Franson GPSgate which will allow virtual ports with the gps - but I cannot seem to get the GPS to be recognized by the starlinki or the autostar...

Just curious if anyone can see a flaw in my plan - it seems I needs some sort of bridgin software within my pda....

No emergency but if anyone anywhere anytime has a solution - this would be great.

Brad

iTreq Bluetooth GPS
Meade ETX-90 Autostar
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
cacella
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brad,

I can arrange to Tachyon performs this bridge directly. Currently there is no option to update time to telescope using GPS.
Have you tested if Tachyon could connect at same time with GPS and Telescope using different COMM ports.

Regards,

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad,
You might get this to work if you are running the StarPatch mod to the Autostar firmware. Otherwise the Autostar wants to see the GPS on the IC2 bus.
On the Starpatch you need to pass the NMEA sentences to the Autostar’s serial port only at startup. After that the Autostar ignores NMEA info at the serial port and goes into standard Meade interface mode. Also keep in mind that standard NMEA 183 2 is 4800 baud and there is no handshaking. Some devices have the capability to alter the baud rate. The NEMA device just broadcasts the GPS sentences over the serial line and doesn’t care if anything is listening. It just repeats whatever sentences the device can deliver. Keep us posted on how it works out.
Bob

Aircable-serial
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
bpreiss

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulo,

1st - Sorry to bother you with such a question as my setup has virtually nothing to do with Tachyon and your new updates are working great ( and I think I am geting the hang of sky charts now, kinda) - but thank you very very much for your response.

I have updated with Star patch (wow that was EXPENSIVE!) otherwise I could not use GPS at all with Autostar. I now need to find which COMM port the PDA would use to send out GPS data back over Bluetooth:
Example: Handheld GPS --->Bluetooth ----> PDA (Franson Software OUTPUT Virtual Comm port # or Comm Port #??) ----> Bluetooth ------> Starlink direct connect to Autostar

I stand corrected - Autostar does not take the time from GPS, which is very very odd for Meade to do that? I would think ( as most Sailors did in the 1800's) that the exact time of day is very very important seeing as an object can cross out your telescopes view finder in less then a minute!!

I will continue to test this setup - again Starlink is an EXCELLENT bluetooth device ( no I do not work for them - ha!!). Here is a contact there:
Chris Carson ccarson@pixsoft.ca

Paulo - I thank you again for all your excellent support, I am very surprised that you think Tachyon could be adapted to assist with this confirguration thank you!!

I think having bluetooth for the telescope to the PDA is esential for all of you - hanging device cables all over my telescope is not ideal - Bluetooth has a good 20ft. range outside!!

Brad Preiss
Fairfax, Virginia
USA

iTreq Bluetooth GPS
Meade ETX-90 Autostar
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bob Rose

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad,
The Autostar can get the time from a GPS if:
1 it is directly connected via the IC2 buss, such as the LX90GPS which uses the 497 Autostar.
2 You use Starpatch and some form of NMEA GPS upon power up of the Autostar.
3 You have a GPS and Autostar connected to PC or PPC and fetch the time info from the GPS and translate that to the Meade set date (:SCMM/DD/YY#) and set time (:SLHH:MM:SS#) command and send it to the Autostar.

Option 1 the most expensive as it requires about a $2k purchase. Option 2 can be achieved by letting the StarlinkBT pair up with the BT GPS unit you already have before starting the Autostar. Then un-pair the BT GPS. Or use the redirect program at the StarPatch site if you use a PC or Laptop. A similar program could be used with the PPC even from within Tachyon if Paulo sets one up. If you use option 3 you will need to “Align” after the time is updated or pointing accuracy will be affected. This will require pushing the “Enter” button upon power up several times until the “Align” menu pop up. Then “Mode” out of the “Align” prompt. At this point the serial port on the Autostar should become fully active and accept the standard Autostar commands. After the time is set you will need to navigate back to the Align menu on the Autostar and align. The hooks for doing this are already partially implemented in Tachyon. Paulo would need to allow some of the AutostarIIGPS commands to be used with the Autostar.
Bob

Aircable-serial
cacella
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Bob - You could do a test for me. I suppose that if you go to Telescope Setup / Operational Setup tab / Date and Time Update Mode you can set DateTime from PDA to your telescope once or every time Tachyon boots up with telescope connected.
It is supposed to work with any Autostar model.

If this is true I can do a small mod in GPS dialog as to get GPS Datetime to PDA, passing through the Telescope

Brad - Yes...This starpatch is very costly indeed....

Regards,

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulo,
Success! I tried the time update PPC -> Autostar Via “Telescope Setup / Operational Setup tab / Date and Time Update” and it updated correctly. I also tried from the ASII Specials menu and that worked as well. One Caveat, the Autostar must be past the “Align” menu and tracking or it only updates the date only and not the time. I sort of knew this as the Autostar does not recognize the full command set unless it thinks it is fully aligned and tracking. Anyway, it looks like Brad only need to configure Tachyon to talk to the iTrek and use it to set the PPC’s clock and everything should work.
I am not getting a site update from PPC to scope using the /Operational Setup? Tab. The Autostar1 should know both the :Sg and :St commands.
Bob

Aircable-serial
cacella
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

I do not use for set location standard commands. They have not worked with LX200GPS. I use a custom command.

I can revisit this...

For Brad to solve with Tachyon he must update PDA time with GPS and after that Tachyon will send data to telescope. The GPS module, however, do not update datetime...I 'll implement this..

Regards,

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob & Paulo,

I have run many tests...

Starlink is Bluetooth and requires power from Autostar - When Autostar ( and Starlink ) are powered on - there is no bluetooth link setup yet!! So no matter whatI I do to get the Autostar patch for GPS to recognize the luetooth GPS it will not as the GPS request from Autostar it happens too fast - Autostar immediately searches for the GPS on power on ... GPS not found, obviously... becuase there is no link to even the PDA at that time!!

Not sure this is going to happen GPS to Autostar... Tachyon may have to play a role if Paulo has time later on...

Thanks to you both for taking the time to look into this...

Brad

iTreq Bluetooth GPS
Meade ETX-90 Autostar
Bob Rose

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad,
I use an Aircable Bluetooth and can power it up and link it even before the AS is turned on. This will allow the GPS to be active at the Autostars serial port on scope power up. How does the Starlink get power from the Autostar? Is there a connection to the AUX port? All the documentation I can find says no power is available at the serial port of the Autostar. Maybe I should get my meter out and check.
Bob

Aircable-serial

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tachyon for PC and PocketPC Forum Index -> Telescope Setup All times are GMT - 3 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: